Monday, June 06, 2005

New TV Shows

While I've tried to keep the focus here more specifically on Movies rather than television, I've been given the opportunity to watch most of the new network TV shows for this coming year. So this will begin a series of brief reviews of the new programming. On my grading scale, a (B-) is middle-of-the-road. Better than that means I liked something about it, less than that means I didn't. I'll try to balance my reviews to factor both my personal taste, and my predictions for the show's long-term potential, but these two might not always match. Shows I like get cancelled. Shows I hate succeed. Let that serve as a disclaimer about my credentials. I don't watch much TV, so I am generally judging these in comparison to each other, not to what is currently on the air.


Kitchen Confidential (FOX) - sitcom
A very funny half hour sitcom about a recovering alcoholic chef who is trying to restart his career. The pilot takes advantage of the recent Wendy's chili scandal, but that joke ended up more like a groan than a laugh. But there were plenty of good laughs besides, and some nice interesting supporting characters portrayed superbly. However, I'm not sure the concept is broad enough to support a long run, so we'll have to see how the sub-plots and secondary characters develop to judge whether this will last. (B)


Invasion (ABC) - Sci-Fi/Drama
While the pilot wanted to leave you wondering, the title makes it completely unambiguous: the aliens are coming. It left me wanting more (it must be a 2-part introduction really), so if enough viewers tune in for the first episode, I predict a successful early season. But these types of shows seem to have a hard time surviving their first season, and I haven't yet seen anything to make this one stand out from the crowd. (Remember "The Visitor" ?) (B+)


Just Legal (WB) - Drama
The worst thing about this show is the title. I decided to watch it because it features Don Johnson, and I used to enjoy his "Nash Bridges." Sadly, now Don is just an old, burned-out actor, which works great, because he plays an old, burned-out trial lawyer in this show. But ignore him. The highlight of this show is the kid, (I can't remember his name right now...). He's an 18-year prodigy, just out of law school at the head of his class. I'll let you wait to watch it for the plot details, but it was a surprisingly good show. Call it, "Doogie Howser, J.D." (A-)


Hot Properties (ABC) - sitcom
Three sex-crazed friends work together as Real Estate Agents in New York. ("I'm not slutty, I'm easy. There's a difference!") This show really wants to be the next "Sex in the City," but it's really not. It feels a bit more like "Just Shoot Me," but I liked that show better. Funny moments, but mostly forgettable. Just the kind of drivel that might get a second season. (D+)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home